The Azure Holland Pet Quality of Life Tool is meant to be a guide to help you determine whether you should consider hospice care or euthanasia for your pet. The result should only be one of the factors in making a final decision for home pet euthanasia. It should be not the only factor. Please call us at 919-600-1841 to speak to one of our certified veterinarians before making any final decisions. We are here to help.
1. PAINAdequate pain control, including breathing ability. Is your pet's pain successfully managed? Is oxygen necessary?
2. HUNGERIs your pet eating enough? Does hand feeding help? Does your pet require a feeding tube or other assistance to eat?
3. HYDRATIONIs your pet dehydrated? Does your pet drink enough water? Does your pet need subcutaneous fluids once or twice daily to supplement fluid intake?
4. HYGIENEDoes your pet still groom itself, especially after elimination? Is your pet clean and free of pressure sores, etc? Is your pet's coat greasy, matted, or rough-looking?
5. HAPPINESSDoes your pet express joy and interest? is your pet responsive to things around them like family, toys, etc? Is your pet depressed, lonely, anxious, bored, or afraid?
6. MOBILITYCan your pet get up and walk without human or mechanical assistance (e.g. cart, support vest)? Does your pet feel like going for walks? Is your pet having seizures or stumbling? A pet who has limited mobility, or amputation, but is still alert and responsive can have a godo quality of life as long as the owner is committed to helping.
7. GOOD DAYS VS. BAD DAYSDo the good days outnumber the bad days? Are you still able to have a healthy, interactive relationship with your pet?
Total Score: 0